PTC Revolutionizes CAD Market with Creo

anyrole-appsDo you remember the first time you heard about parametric modeling? It was more than likely that you heard about PTC’s Pro/ENGINEER at the same time.

On October 28, 2010, PTC, the company that first innovated parametric and direct modeling, launched another breakthrough: Creo, a new family of design software.

Over 10,000 people from around the world heard about Creo that day. PTC showed how this new technology could solve problems that have long plagued companies using CAD software. Specifically, difficulties with usability, interoperability, technology lock-in, and assembly management.

By removing these frustrations, Creo unlocks potential within any organization by unleashing creativity, facilitating teamwork, increasing efficiency, and ultimately bringing more value.

This site is devoted to helping you further discover Creo. It’s all here: Product-related information, discussions about today’s industry pains, opinions from press and industry influencers, and interviews with the people behind-the-scenes.

You’ll find daily updates, too. So come back regularly or, better yet, subscribe to this site.

We’d love to hear your thoughts. Leave us a comment, and let’s start the discussion—tell us what you think and help us as we redefine the mechanical CAD market.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

61 Comments

1. Posted Oct 28, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

This configuration manager seams to be the first real step into obtaining the software that Iron Man used to create the iron man exoskeleton.

Posted Oct 28, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks for you comment Bart. Creo’s AnyBOM Assembly allows a top-down visual system navigation approach to select product options and configurations – we’ll all be building our next exoskeleton with it.

• Dylan
      Posted Nov 18, 2010 at 3:43 am | Permalink

haha nice one Bart. I love this program. If all high schools around the country created an engineering elective course, and taught high-school age students how to use this software, imagine the effect it would have on our future engineering society. I learned how to use this entire software as a sophomore in my high school’s engineering course, and found it awe-inspiring from the very start. This program allows imagination to come to an element of reality, and THAT is stimulating for young minds at a level in which I cannot describe

2. Posted Oct 28, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

HI!
    Nice to see this breakthrough!!
    you show what i think “3D for Everyone”

Question.
    What about us with the need of cad and plm “BOM” (vpdm) in other documentation system.
    exp. SAP or Smarteam?

Posted Oct 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Hi Joachim, thanks for our note. With Creo’s AnyRole Apps, there’s the right tool, for the right job, at the right time. Combine that with AnyMode Modeling, and users can move across the modes of 2D, 3D direct, and 3D parametric – and you the idea of involving everyone in product development.

With sharing BOM and CAD data to other systems, that’s possible, however, I’m convinced many users of that data will find Creo a much easier approach to use.

3. Avihu Shaban
    Posted Oct 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

where is the like button?

4. Varadendra Deshpande
    Posted Oct 28, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

An exciting moment for us all PTC lovers!

5. Joe McBurnie
    Posted Oct 28, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Love it! 20 years in the making, finally its time for change. Well done Geoff and the rest of the team at PTC

Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your positive comments Joe – and as you point out, it’s a team effort – and everyone at PTC’s excited about Creo!

6. Bob Rizzari
    Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Pretty bold statements, I’ve been around CAD systems since the early 80’s. Pro/e was truly breakthrough when it came out. I hope this will live up to the hype and not be just marketing strategy.

Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Bob – thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. My background’s very similar to yours, I remember the days of using 2D CAD on a mainframe! Pro/ENGINEER was introduced about the time I graduated as a mechanical engineer, and I remember the excitement when I first saw it. It’s the same excitement now, over 20 years later, every time I see Creo!

7. Abdul Mateen
    Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Well done PTC team.

8. Robert Kartman
    Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Nice presentation, eerily similar to an Apple Keynote. In that vein, will CREO run natively on Macs?

Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Robert- thanks for your comments, for me it’s been the best launch event I’ve ever attended at PTC. I wanted to just re-post the answer Mike Campbell at PTC already posted regading Macs:

“Platform support details are still being refined, but Mac OS support is being considered.”

• Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I admit that it was well done, but still a far cry from an Apple keynote. In an Apple keynote, the CEO uses the software ;-). Now THAT would have driven the message home on how easy it is to use.

• Posted Oct 30, 2010 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Thomas – that’s a great challenge! BTW, I’m a mechanical engineer and not afraid to get my hands dirty, so I’ll look for an opportunity to give you all a Creo demo at a similar future event. Stay tuned! Of course, Brian Shepherd, Mike Campbell, and Rob Gremley are ME’s too, so I’ll probably have to wrestle the keyboard away from them if I want to drive.

• Posted Oct 30, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Excellent, Jim! And then you top it all off with “wait, there is one more thing”, and pull out an 11″ MacBook Air, open the lid, and run Creo on it! Natively, of course.

9. Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

3DModelSpace.com is glad to see the launch of Creo!!!

10. Nicholas Hayhoe
    Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Nice, looks like PTC is finally understanding why SolidWorks is so popular

Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Nicholas, thanks for commenting. We’re excited about Creo, and its breakthrough technologies like AnyRole Apps and AnyMode Modeling. It means more people in product design will be able to use the right tool, at the right time, and chose the best design mode for them, be it: 2D, 3D direct, or 3D parametrics.

11. Ihtsham Hashmi
    Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Well Done!

12. John Schaaf
    Posted Oct 29, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

The Creo vision with the marriage of Parametric and Direct modeling along with Role Based Apps and an Assembly configuration tool should spark a change in the 3D CAD market not seen since 1987. Remember, to always listen to your customers and ensure the quality of new software version releases of Creo are agressively tested prior to any release.

13. Shafat Ahmad Chandio
    Posted Oct 30, 2010 at 3:41 am | Permalink

Thanks, for an other breakthrough in 3D CAD market.

14. svwc@ntlworld.com
    Posted Oct 30, 2010 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Hi

I’m new to Pro-E & Creo. I have always used AutoCAD for 3D (it’s very laborious) and I think it’s time to step up to producing real 3D in the way I have seen others create 3D models using Pro-E etc.
    Is there a demo I could download to try?
    I have an AMD 1.8 ghz dual core laptop. Would this specification be OK?

Looking forward to trying Creo

Sinclair

Posted Nov 9, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Sinclair,

Creo is PTC’s new product family of design software that is expected to be available in the summer of 2011. We are, however, renaming our existing Pro/ENGINEER®, CoCreate® and ProductView® products at this time under the Creo Elements sub-brand in order to unite the exciting future vision of CAD and the elements from which it was derived under one product family.

I’d recommend you reach out to your local PTC contact to arrange an initial discussion, you can find you nearest PTC or PTC partner contact by visiting:

Thanks for your positive comments.

15. Robert More
    Posted Oct 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Fancy website; excellent hype about the product; it’s just a shame that there is no option (nor a link, a web page, web site, or other connections) to buy it …

16. Posted Nov 1, 2010 at 3:00 am | Permalink

What does it mean open? open source code?

Are you thinking on linux ? I will definite like to run it at ubuntu!
    Please clarify to me

thanks

17. Posted Nov 1, 2010 at 6:24 am | Permalink

From me and my customers…

Creo’s just too good to be true
    can’t take my eyes off of you
    you’d be like heaven to touch
    I wanna hold you so much
    at long last love has arrived
    and I thank God I’m alive
    you’re just too good to be true
    can’t take my eyes off of you

Nice work PTC

Posted Nov 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Leif – thanks for your comment and also your Creo song, I haven’t been able to stop humming it! – why not send us a video of your and your customers singing it – and don’t forget your harmonica solo!

18. Posted Nov 1, 2010 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Oh Great Product by PTC I like this.I thing this is very usfull for industry and it will be completed all requiremnet of designers.

Thanks
    and update related by CREo plz send me.

19. Geoff Hedges
    Posted Nov 1, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your support. If you want to receive an update everytime we add new content to creo.ptc.com, you can subscribe to receive updates, here’s the link:

20. Posted Nov 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Excellent work PTC!
    A modern and refreshing approach—finally a vision that speaks to the power of creativity.

21. Posted Nov 3, 2010 at 5:14 am | Permalink

Hi,
    Could any one let me know the difference b/n cero & pro e? Significance of the cero?

Posted Nov 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Meraj,

Creo will be a scalable suite of right-sized, interoperable, integrated design applications (apps for short) that spans the entire spectrum of product development. By addressing the big unsolved problems in design software, Creo enables companies to unlock potential within their organizations by unleashing creativity, facilitating teamwork, increasing efficiency and ultimately realizing value.

22. Posted Nov 5, 2010 at 12:50 am | Permalink

I have used Pro/E to design product for six years.I’m looking forward to creo software release.

23. Saravanan
    Posted Nov 5, 2010 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Thank you for PTC Creo Teams. When I heard the name was introduced in Wildfire. I am happy to hear the Wildfire. Now the new name Creo. I am so happy to hear again. I am expecting PTC Creo will going to changes the Mechanical World in 3D CAD/CAM/CAE Industry.

Once Thank you for PTC Creo Team.

24. Henric
    Posted Nov 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand where all this excitement comes from. Basically PTC has renamed their Wildfire 5 in Creo. Since there was no real innovation coming from PTC’s side since Wildfire 1, I would be very surprised if the Creo release in summer 2011 would bring anything really new.

Posted Nov 8, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Hi Henric,
      Creo is PTC’s new product family of design software that is expected to be available in the summer of 2011 – we showed some early product demonstrations at the event on October 28th.

There’s lots of excitement because Creo will be a scalable suite of right-sized, interoperable, integrated design applications (apps for short) that spans the entire spectrum of product development, not just the 3D CAD experts most vendors are targetting .

We have also renamed our existing Pro/ENGINEER®, CoCreate® and ProductView® products at this time under the Creo Elements sub-brand in order to unite the exciting future vision of CAD and the elements from which it was derived under one product family.

25. Nick Belden
    Posted Nov 8, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

How will some of the add on packages be handled within this marketing stratergy? . We use ISDX, Mechanica and Advanced Rendering. These were purchased some years ago and maintained under our support package with latest releases. We would not wish to have to purchase these again due to some form of re-bundling?

26. Gurmeet
    Posted Nov 9, 2010 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Geoff, does Creo support any touch enabled gestures? Is there work being done by PTC on touch enablement? If yes, please ask your representative to contact me.

27. Praven
    Posted Nov 11, 2010 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Hai Creo…
    Its so pleasure to hear that the entire CAD industry has been getting in to a new era in mechanical design. And I am waiting for the Mid 0f 2011 to experience the new Creo and its products……

28. Praven
    Posted Nov 11, 2010 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Awaiting to experience tthe new Creo……….

29. Marc verschelde
    Posted Nov 15, 2010 at 9:42 am | Permalink

If handling data of foreign systems works fine, The Creo suite will be a very big advantage for companies that have to work much with foreign data. The experience of importing data from other systems is that we are confronted very much with ‘gaps’ that are difficult to close. Having a result that is feature based, will be probably something that nobody can make reality.
    Another part of the Creo suite, the ‘Creo elements View’ is based on ‘Productview’ which is in my opinion not a success with respect to User interface, compact data format and graphics performance which is not so good as Pro/E itself. I do not understand why PTC does not launch a ‘Pro/ENGINEER viewer’ that could be very useful to find ‘lost references’ in an older version of a part that is in resolve mode.
    And last but probably not least, what about ‘Pro/ENGINEER only’ users ? I hope they will not be negatively affected by the fact that the ‘Creo suite’ will contain for example aspects of CoCreate, making the suite more complex instead of easier to use. I do not believe in a scenario where a new user starts with Creo Direct because it is easier to use, and later switches over to Creo/Pro because it is more powerful. What current Pro/ENGINEER users needs is not again another module as Creo/Direct but simply an easier to use Creo/Pro. I am convinced that it is possible realize this, by more taking into account the thousands of enhancement requests that has been posted by the thousands of PTC customers.

Posted Nov 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Marc, thanks for your comments.
      With Creo, the breakthrough technology of AnyRole Apps delivers the right tool, for the right person at the right time, so in your example, if the user needs the full power of 3D parametric modeling, there will be an app for that.

We’re planning to offer apps for direct modeling, parametric modeling, conceptual engineering, visualization, 3D technical illustration, 2D design, simulation, and much more.

30. Mitch Maiman
    Posted Nov 16, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I will believe in Creo being a “breakthrough” when I see it. It’s a long time between now and mid-summer 2011. Given the weak present UI on Wildfire which was claimed to be a “breathrough”, I’d have to see it before I believe it. The main competitor, Solidworks, has a pretty darn good UI and Creo will have to go some to beat that. Our firm uses both ProE and SW, depending on client preference. Anyone here needing to learn SW did so without the need for formal training. That never happens with ProE. I am hoping that Creo ends up with a UI intuitive enough that an individual can become competent (even in the advanced capabilities) without the need for a formal training. That will be the litmus test for ease-of-use.

Posted Nov 19, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Hi Mitch, thanks for your comments – we are convinced that the Creo AnyRole App approach introduces to breakthroughs regarding usability;

1. AnyRole Apps will have a common user interface. Even though each app will serve its own particular role, you won’t have to relearn each app. For example, once you know how to rotate a model in one app, you know how to rotate the model in all the design apps.

2..AnyRole Apps will have a common data model. With a common data model, you can move, share, and work with your product data from any application. That eliminates the source of many interoperability problems and maintains design intent, no matter who’s been working on the model.

In the coming days we’ll publish product videos on this site – so that you can explore some of the approaches we believe will significantly improve usability.

31. Jon Banquer
    Posted Nov 17, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink

In order for Creo to be accepted by small machining job shops it’s going to need lots of CAM packages that run inside of it like SolidWorks has… Delcam For SolidWorks, Mastercam For SolidWorks, CAMWorks, HSMWorks, my favorite SolidCAM, and many, many more.

What is the PTC plan to attract independent CAM developers to port their CAM applications to Creo?

Jon Banquer
    San Diego, CA

Posted Nov 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Hi John, thanks for your comment.

PTC is actively looking for partners to help extend the Creo suite of apps, and at our event on October 28th, we highlighted three partner applications integrated with Creo. PTC has a Partner Advantage program which has close to 350 companies worldwide that include software application vendors, hardware providers, and so on. There are many in the manufacturing space including NC solution providers like Austin NC, VK Engineering, etc. Companies such as Delcam, CNC (Mastercam), and EdgeCAM are built on GRANITE, our interoperability Kernel.

We are very open to considering additional CAM partners joining our program and integrating their solutions with Creo.

32. Posted Nov 18, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

First I don’t see nothing really revolutionary here, like introduction of parametric modeling 30 year ago as you comparing. As far as design improvements are made, I see that you are targeting younger generation and more easy-to-learn users. That’s all cool, but not more than that.
    Only one thing worries me, why did you kill such a strong brand like Pro/E and created Creo!?! This is such a big mistake that you’ll end in history of marketing as perfect example how to cannibalize itself.
    Pred
    Design Development Manager
    IEM

• Mitch
      Posted Nov 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

I am not a PTC employee but I will tell you this. If your company does not evolve, it will wither and die. This is Business 101. I applaud PTC, which is unusual for me, for at least making an effort at reinventing itself. There is an important, business philosophy proven time and time again that says if you can foresee a way to canabiize your business, you’d better do it. If you don’t, somebody else will. As MCAD applications have matured, for most of us, any of the Tier1 tools will be “good enough” to do the job from a features and functions standpoint. Whether they admit it openly or not, I would bet there are product management people in PTC who realize this (i.e. those who do not under-estimate the competition). The next barrier where all the products are not yet “good enough” has to do with raw optimized design speed, efficiency and ease-of-use. You could pick a lot worse in terms of areas for improvement, particularly in PTC’s case, than the stated direction for Creo.

33. Posted Nov 30, 2010 at 2:22 am | Permalink

PTC,

A big push forward. This is a giant leap in the way CAD (should we call this CAD now or should we call it Product Realization) world is and setting the direction for the next decade. Would love to see the interoperability features and interfacing techniques with other complementing apps.

Way to go and Good luck!!!

Vishy

34. Sanjay Madekar
    Posted Dec 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Fantastik,creo makes very simple with direct modelling.

35. Danilo
    Posted Dec 22, 2010 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Where is the revolution? If someone revolutionizes the market, then it shows something new to the market. In the movie, I see the revolution for ProE users and not for the market. Check out, what Siemens has done in 2008 with synchronous technology. This was revolution.Creo is just a copy of that. At least it looks like.
    Copy/paste features and steering wheel for moving faces looks almost exactly the same as Siemens Solid Edge in 2008. Drafting shows mirror on section. Why is this so revolutionary?. Showing direct modeling and claiming, that no one has it. Siemens NX has it since version 1 (2002).
    Where is the revolution?

Posted Dec 22, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Danilo, thanks for your comments.

Before I get into the technology breakthroughs, I want to highlight one important part of our Creo vision – that isn’t typical across our industry. We are developing a suite of apps that address a broad set of roles and needs across a company when it comes to interacting with the design model – it’s an exciting vision and strategy.

Take a company with 5,000 people, there may be 100 or so product designers, who are normally 3D CAD experts, but hundreds of other people could and should be involved in product development, if only they had the right apps for their needs.

Take my favourite example of a marketer. They want to included rendered images into a new product brochure – today that marketer may well be asking an engineer to generate those images, simply because today’s 3D CAD tool is difficult for a marketer to use for this particular need. I think there are many examples like that across a company.

I don’t think anyone else in our industry is taking this approach, many continue to add more features and capabilities to their product, assuming that users will be 3D CAD experts.
      With Creo, we introduce four breakthrough technologies, including AnyRole Apps, AnyMode Modeling, AnyData Adoption, and AnyBOM Assembly. Sure some vendors have added some capabilities, but not all four technologies. I would also describe many as ‘clunky’ – for example, often a user can’t transparently roundtrip a model between the parametric and direct modes, with the potential danger that there are two models of the same design.

For more information about the breakthrough technologies, including demonstrations, visit:

Thanks again for your comments.

36. Danilo
    Posted Dec 23, 2010 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Hi Geoff,

First I have to thank you for your really quick response. And for your (more) detail explanation of new stuff in Creo. I have watched some movies for all the technologies, that you have pointed out: AnyRole Apps, AnyMode Modeling, AnyData Adoption, and AnyBOM Assembly.
    I remember ProEi2 and ProE2001. I worked with those two versions of ProE. And what I only heard about Wildfire and what I have seen now in Creo, this is really big step forward for ProE users.
    Again, I could spent some time talking about who did what and when and revolutions, etc. But I will not do that, because such debate doesn’t contribute to anything.
    Anyway, since I am an engineer more then a marketer, I have some questions about Creo Direct modeling. In a movie (See AnyMode Modeling In Action: “Art to Part” Seamlessly
    ), I’ve seen a modification of one part. First, it is shown in an assembly environment. But, when you go and modify this part, you are opening it separatly. Why is that? Is it not possible to go directly from the assembly into this part and work with direct modeling? And I was really excited with the handling of the pattern. But again, one question came to my mind. You are doing this change on a model, that actually has some history. So, does this kind of handling the patterns works also on step or iges files?

I hope, that I am not bothering you to much with my (maybe silly) questions.
    Regards.

Posted Jan 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Hi Danilo, thanks for your comments and questions.
      With the product demonstrations you describe, we’ve often recorded them to highligh a technology, removing as much visual complexity as possible, to make the point as clear as possible – indeed with today’s Creo Elements/Direct we can already drive major changes across multiple parts in the context of the assembly. With Creo Elements/Direct it’s also possible to create a ‘feature’ by selecting the geometry from imported STEP or IGES files, and then use those as basis of a pattern.

I hope this answers your questions.
      Best Regards,
      Geoff

37. Allan L
    Posted Jan 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Will Creo be available on Linux some time soon?

Im stuck using a very old PROE Wildfire 3, because its the only good CAD supporting Linux at the moment :(

How much is the new Creo Elements/Direct PE different from WF 3?

Think of all the schools, they wouldn’t have to buy Windows licenses, just run their Creo on Ubuntus – you would be making the world a safer place :)

Posted Feb 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Allan, thanks for your questions.

The R&D team tells me “No plans for Linux right now, but we remain open to the idea”.

With the direct modeling approach in Creo Elements/Direct Personal Edition, I know many users of parametric approaches first need to get familiar with the paradigm – many users with knowledge of parameters, constraints, history trees, etc will find the direct modeling paradigm different. I’d recommend you download the Personal Edition and try some of the tutorials – you’ll quickly get the hang of this modeling approach.

Best Regards,
      Geoff

• Jeff Losco
        Posted Jul 12, 2011 at 7:04 am | Permalink

I would love for Creo to come back to Linux. I would install any version that PTC supports.
        With the state that Linux is in today, it is a fabulous operating system. Much more stable than some of the others. There are alot of us out here using Linux now, and many of the users would be smart to switch.
        Think of it this way – PTC would have 100% of the Linux CAD market if it was available. Nothing else comes close.
        With AutoCad releasing for MAC soon, who knows where the market is going.

38. Posted Aug 30, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this article. I have book marked this website because I really hope you post more articles soon, I will definataly share this.

2 Trackbacks

1. […] 28th. Creo announced. It was one of PTC’s largest events in history, with thousands taking part both physically and […]

2. […] 28th. Creo announced. It was one of PTC’s largest events in history, with thousands participating both physically and […]